The Burys

The Burys

Monday, November 21, 2011

In The Womb - Vol. 2

Parallels

I tend to try to find parallels of the physical things in this world that may teach us about spiritual things. I will think of common everyday things and see if there is a deeper meaning or parallel to something spiritual. For example, the fall and rise of the sun everyday could symbolize the death and resurrection of Christ. Maybe the reason we have to sleep at night is so we can experience His death and resurrection everyday.

Now, I don't know how true those things are and don't attempt to explain God and why He does things. Nor do I try to spiritualize every little thing in life. However, it is fun to think about. We do know in the Bible Jesus spoke in parables and used every day, common things like seeds and gardening to explain the Christian life.

This past week has been a real struggle being pregnant. Being nauseous, unable to eat, unable to go number 2, bloated and vomiting came to its climax. I have not been able to enjoy food for about 3 months. Needless to say, I've been trying to come up with a good reason/parallel for this horrid struggle. Last Monday night, I sat rocking in my favorite chair, with my hands on my belly trying to seek comfort and relief. Moaning, I said to my baby, "Baby, what is it you need?" And a small unheard whisper simply said, "Rest." That I know the baby needed rest. I've been busy with Special Olympics tournaments, church and working extra hours at a clinic. So I said, "Okay, Baby, you got my attention. I will rest."

Immediately, I thought about how many times the Lord finally gets our attention when we are faced with pain and struggles. We do all we can to seek relief before crying out to him and asking, "What is it You want me to do?" And the Lord will simply reply, "Rest." Our physical struggles call us to rest, just as our spiritual struggles and hardships call us to rest. And that was my first parallel.

My second parallel was a little more profound for me. As I was still sitting in my rocking chair with my hands on my belly, Psalm 139 came to mind "You knit me together in my mother's womb." Instantly I was overwhelmed with the sense of the Lord's presence. Just under my hands, the Lord's hands were putting together my baby. Though I know the Lord is always with me and near me, I never felt so close to Him as I did in that moment. It overwhelmed me so much, I shuttered to think of the reality of being so close to him.

Immediately, I thought about Daniel in the Bible. After he was given visions from the Lord, he lay extremely exhausted and weak. It was such an intense spiritual experience, it left him physically ailed. People throughout the Bible feared being in the presence of God, covering their heads, falling to the ground, and even died if they approached/touch God’s presence inappropriately (The Ark of the Covenant, the temple).
So that is my second parallel. With the Lord's hands ever so close to me, forming the baby in my belly, His presence is overwhelmingly too intense. It is such a spiritual experience that it is physically exhausting and ailing.

Again, I'm not going to take a theological stance on these ideas and I understand that no where would scripture support this idea. It may just be my way of coping and making sense of pregnancy pains. I do know God promised women struggles with labor, period. However, I also know that the Lord's hand is on me, forming that little baby. And feeling the Lord's closeness during the struggle makes the entire struggle worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment